Position and secure steel bars or mesh in concrete forms in order to reinforce concrete. Use a variety of fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, and hand tools. Includes rod busters.
- Steel Tier
- Steel Rod Buster
- Rod Buster
- Reinforcing Steel Worker
- Reinforcing Rod Layer
- Reinforcing Metal Worker
- Reinforced Ironworker
- Post Tensioning Ironworker
- Bend steel rods with hand tools or rodbending machines and weld them with arc-welding equipment.
- Cut and fit wire mesh or fabric, using hooked rods, and position fabric or mesh in concrete to reinforce concrete.
- Cut rods to required lengths, using metal shears, hacksaws, bar cutters, or acetylene torches.
- Place blocks under rebar to hold the bars off the deck when reinforcing floors.
- Determine quantities, sizes, shapes, and locations of reinforcing rods from blueprints, sketches, or oral instructions.
- Space and fasten together rods in forms according to blueprints, using wire and pliers.
- Position and secure steel bars, rods, cables, or mesh in concrete forms, using fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, or hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $54,430 with most people making between $25,980 and $90,690
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 19,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 28,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 13,000 replacement openings for approximately 13,000 total annual openings.
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Hanceville
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Selma
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers