Cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
- Aluminum Shingle Roofer
- Asbestos Shingle Roofer
- Composition Roofer
- Cool Roofing Installer
- Gravel Roofer
- Gypsum Roofer
- Hot Tar Roofer
- Industrial Roofer
- Inspect problem roofs to determine the best repair procedures.
- Set up scaffolding to provide safe access to roofs.
- Align roofing materials with edges of roofs.
- Clean and maintain equipment.
- Cement or nail flashing strips of metal or shingle over joints to make them watertight.
- Install, repair, or replace single-ply roofing systems, using waterproof sheet materials such as modified plastics, elastomeric, or other asphaltic compositions.
- Cut felt, shingles, or strips of flashing to fit angles formed by walls, vents, or intersecting roof surfaces.
- Install vapor barriers or layers of insulation on flat roofs.
- Cut roofing paper to size using knives; and nail or staple roofing paper to roofs in overlapping strips to form bases for other materials.
- Cover exposed nailheads with roofing cement or caulking to prevent water leakage or rust.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $38,760.00 with most people making between $22,350.00 and $60,350.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 136,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 161,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 50,000 replacement openings for approximately 52,000 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Rail Car Repairers
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Printing Press Operators
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers