Help brickmasons, blockmasons, stonemasons, or tile and marble setters by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Correct surface imperfections or fill chipped, cracked, or broken bricks or tiles, using fillers, adhesives, or grouting materials.
- Remove damaged tile, brick, or mortar, and clean or prepare surfaces, using pliers, hammers, chisels, drills, wire brushes, or metal wire anchors.
- Apply caulk, sealants, or other agents to installed surfaces.
- Apply grout between joints of bricks or tiles, using grouting trowels.
- Remove excess grout or residue from tile or brick joints, using sponges or trowels.
- Move or position materials such as marble slabs, using cranes, hoists, or dollies.
- Clean installation surfaces, equipment, tools, work sites, or storage areas, using water, chemical solutions, oxygen lances, or polishing machines.
- Arrange or store materials, machines, tools, or equipment.
- Locate and supply materials to masons for installation, following drawings or numbered sequences.
- Provide assistance in the preparation, installation, repair, or rebuilding of tile, brick, or stone surfaces.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $32,290 with most people making between $21,340 and $46,810
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 220 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 300 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 8 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Rough Carpenters
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Construction Laborers
- Plasterers and Stucco Masons
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeGeorgia College and State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorCarpet, Floor, and Tile Worker
collegeAtlanta Technical College