Inspect structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
- Evaluate premises for cleanliness, such as proper garbage disposal or lack of vermin infestation.
- Estimate cost of completed work or of needed renovations or upgrades.
- Sample and test air to identify gasses, such as bromine, ozone, or sulfur dioxide, or particulates, such as mold, dust, or allergens.
- Examine lifting or conveying devices, such as elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, hoists, inclined railways, ski lifts, or amusement rides to ensure safety and proper functioning.
- Conduct environmental hazard inspections to identify or quantify problems such as asbestos, poor air quality, water contamination, or other environmental hazards.
- Approve building plans that meet required specifications.
- Issue permits for construction, relocation, demolition, or occupancy.
- Train, direct, or supervise other construction inspectors.
- Confer with owners, violators, or authorities to explain regulations or recommend remedial actions.
- Monitor construction activities to ensure that environmental regulations are not violated.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $64,370 with most people making between $38,250 and $92,460
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 4,610 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 4,720 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 11 openings due to growth and about 109 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeGwinnett Technical College
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeFresno City College
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona