Erect and repair fences and fence gates, using hand and power tools.
- Chain Link Fence Installer
- Fence Builder
- Fence Erector
- Fence Installer
- Fence Laborer
- Wire Fence Builder
- Wire Fence Erector
- Wood Fence Erector
- Wood Fence Installer
- Establish the location for a fence, and gather information needed to ensure that there are no electric cables or water lines in the area.
- Align posts, using lines or by sighting, and verify vertical alignment of posts, using plumb bobs or spirit levels.
- Measure and lay out fence lines and mark posthole positions, following instructions, drawings, or specifications.
- Dig postholes, using spades, posthole diggers, or power-driven augers.
- Set metal or wooden posts in upright positions in postholes.
- Discuss fencing needs with customers, and estimate and quote prices.
- Mix and pour concrete around bases of posts, or tamp soil into postholes to embed posts.
- Make rails for fences, by sawing lumber or by cutting metal tubing to required lengths.
- Nail top and bottom rails to fence posts, or insert them in slots on posts.
- Stretch wire, wire mesh, or chain link fencing between posts, and attach fencing to frames.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $35,880.00 with most people making between $26,540.00 and $46,050.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,410 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 1,380 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
collegeJefferson State Community College
collegeSouthern Union State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorMining and Mineral Engineering
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeCentral Alabama Community College