Lay, repair, and maintain track for standard or narrow-gauge railroad equipment used in regular railroad service or in plant yards, quarries, sand and gravel pits, and mines. Includes ballast cleaning machine operators and railroad bed tamping machine operators.
- Ballast Cleaning Machine Operator
- Bridge Welder
- Emergency Service Restorer
- Line and Signal Technician
- Machine Operator
- Maintenance of Way Foreman
- Oil Distributor Tender
- Portable Grinding Machine Operator
- Rail Maintenance Worker
- Railroad Track Mechanic
- Paint railroad signs, such as speed limits or gate-crossing warnings.
- Operate tie-adzing machines to cut ties and permit insertion of fishplates that hold rails.
- String and attach wire-guidelines machine to rails so that tracks or rails can be aligned or leveled.
- Push controls to close grasping devices on track or rail sections so that they can be raised or moved.
- Spray ties, fishplates, or joints with oil to protect them from weathering.
- Turn wheels of machines, using lever controls, to adjust guidelines for track alignments or grades, following specifications.
- Drive vehicles that automatically move and lay tracks or rails over sections of track to be constructed, repaired, or maintained.
- Operate single- or multiple-head spike pullers to pull old spikes from ties.
- Drive graders, tamping machines, brooms, or ballast spreading machines to redistribute gravel or ballast between rails.
- Clean, grade, or level ballast on railroad tracks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $53,940 with most people making between $43,490 and $63,500
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Continuous Mining Machine Operators
- Dredge Operators
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetSheet Metal Workers
collegeShelton State Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
collegeJefferson State Community College