Lay out, cut, and place segmental paving units. Includes installers of bedding and restraining materials for the paving units.
- Concrete Pavement Installer
- Interlocking Concrete Pavement Installer
- Landscape Foreman
- Paver Installer
- Paver Layer
- Paving Stone Installer
- Segmental Paver Installer
- Prepare base for installation by removing unstable or unsuitable materials, compacting and grading the soil, draining or stabilizing weak or saturated soils and taking measures to prevent water penetration and migration of bedding sand.
- Supply and place base materials, edge restraints, bedding sand and jointing sand.
- Discuss the design with the client.
- Set pavers, aligning and spacing them correctly.
- Sweep sand into the joints and compact pavement until the joints are full.
- Screed sand level to an even thickness, and recheck sand exposed to elements, raking and rescreeding if necessary.
- Cut paving stones to size and for edges, using a splitter and a masonry saw.
- Compact bedding sand and pavers to finish the paved area, using a plate compactor.
- Design paver installation layout pattern and create markings for directional references of joints and stringlines.
- Sweep sand from the surface prior to opening to traffic.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $35,290 with most people making between $18,020 and $55,890
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
majorOceanography, Chemical and Physical
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeEnterprise State Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeBishop State Community College
collegeWestern University of Health Sciences
majorSheet Metal Technology/Sheetworking