Operate equipment to increase oil flow from producing wells or to remove stuck pipe, casing, tools, or other obstructions from drilling wells. May also perform similar services in mining exploration operations. Includes fishing-tool technicians.
- Work Over Rig Operator
- Wireline Operator
- Well Servicing Rig Operator
- Well Services Operator
- Well Service Pump Equipment Operator
- Well Cleaner
- Tool Pusher
- Tar Processing Technician
- Shale Processing Technician
- Insert detection instruments into wells with obstructions.
- Monitor sound wave generating or detecting mechanisms to determine well fluid levels.
- Examine unserviceable wells to determine actions to be taken to improve well conditions.
- Perforate well casings or sidewalls of boreholes with explosive charges.
- Operate specialized equipment to remove obstructions by backing-off or severing pipes by chemical or explosive action.
- Apply green technologies or techniques such as the use of coiled tubing, slim-hole drilling, horizontal drilling, hydraulic fracturing, or gas lift systems.
- Direct drilling crews performing activities such as assembling and connecting pipe, applying weights to drill pipes, or drilling around lodged obstacles.
- Close and seal wells no longer in use.
- Select fishing methods or tools for removing obstacles such as liners, broken casing, screens, or drill pipe.
- Thread cables through derrick pulleys, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $51,540 with most people making between $29,980 and $80,120
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 59,300 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 71,700 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1,240 openings due to growth and about 2,400 replacement openings for approximately 3,640 total annual openings.
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeGeorgia College and State University
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
collegeBevill State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeBishop State Community College