Operate self-propelled mining machines that rip coal, metal and nonmetal ores, rock, stone, or sand from the mine face and load it onto conveyors or into shuttle cars in a continuous operation.
- Continuous Miner Operator (CMO)
- Continuous Mining Machine Coal Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Company Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Contract Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Lode Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Operator
- Longwall Foreman
- Miner Operator
- Self-Propelled Mining Machine Operator
- Scrape or wash conveyors, using belt scrapers or belt washers, to minimize dust production.
- Apply new technologies developed to minimize the environmental impact of coal mining.
- Guide and assist crews laying track and resetting supports and blocking.
- Install casings to prevent cave-ins.
- Move levers to raise and lower hydraulic safety bars supporting roofs above machines until other workers complete framing.
- Repair, oil, and adjust machines, and change cutting teeth, using wrenches.
- Observe and listen to equipment operation to detect binding or stoppage of tools or other equipment malfunctions.
- Move controls to start and regulate movement of conveyors and to start and position drill cutters or torches.
- Drive machines into position at working faces.
- Reposition machines to make additional holes or cuts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $50,940 with most people making between $33,150 and $68,970
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 13,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 13,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 3,000 replacement openings for approximately 3,000 total annual openings.
collegeConcordia College Alabama
collegeUniversity of Alabama in Huntsville
collegeIndiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeNortheast Alabama Community College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCounter and Rental Clerks