Operate self-propelled mining machines that rip coal, metal and nonmetal ores, rock, stone, or sand from the mine face and load it onto conveyors or into shuttle cars in a continuous operation.
- Continuous Miner Operator (CMO)
- Continuous Mining Machine Coal Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Company Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Contract Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Lode Miner
- Continuous Mining Machine Operator
- Longwall Foreman
- Miner Operator
- Self-Propelled Mining Machine Operator
- Operate mining machines to gather coal and convey it to floors or shuttle cars.
- Determine locations, boundaries, and depths of holes or channels to be cut.
- Reposition machines to make additional holes or cuts.
- Drive machines into position at working faces.
- Move controls to start and regulate movement of conveyors and to start and position drill cutters or torches.
- Observe and listen to equipment operation to detect binding or stoppage of tools or other equipment malfunctions.
- Repair, oil, and adjust machines, and change cutting teeth, using wrenches.
- Move levers to raise and lower hydraulic safety bars supporting roofs above machines until other workers complete framing.
- Install casings to prevent cave-ins.
- Guide and assist crews laying track and resetting supports and blocking.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $52,870.00 with most people making between $29,620.00 and $59,250.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 70 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 60 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Roof Bolters, Mining
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Locomotive Firers
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeConcordia College Selma
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Huntsville
collegeIndiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeNortheast Alabama Community College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks