Test or repair mobile or stationary radio transmitting and receiving equipment and two-way radio communications systems used in ship-to-shore communications and found in service and emergency vehicles.
- Two-Way Radio Technician
- Radio Tester
- Radio Technician
- Radio Rigger
- Radio Repairman
- Radio Repairer
- Radio Mechanic Apprentice
- Radio Mechanic
- Radio Maintainer
- Clean and lubricate motor generators.
- Monitor radio range stations to detect transmission flaws and adjust controls to eliminate flaws.
- Test batteries, using hydrometers and ammeters, and charge batteries as necessary.
- Insert plugs into receptacles and bolt or screw leads to terminals to connect equipment to power sources, using hand tools.
- Mount equipment on transmission towers and in vehicles such as ships or ambulances.
- Test emergency transmitters to ensure their readiness for immediate use.
- Turn setscrews to adjust receivers for maximum sensitivity and transmitters for maximum output.
- Calibrate and align components, using scales, gauges, and other measuring instruments.
- Remove and replace defective components and parts such as conductors, resistors, semiconductors, and integrated circuits, using soldering irons, wire cutters, and hand tools.
- Examine malfunctioning radio equipment to locate defects such as loose connections, broken wires, or burned-out components, using schematic diagrams and test equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $54,940 with most people making between $27,390 and $74,380
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 120 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 130 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about -1 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego Mesa College
collegeAmerican River College
onetAutomotive Master Mechanics
majorCyber/Computer Forensics and Counterterrorism
majorCommunications Systems Installation and Repair Technology
onetAircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
majorMechatronics, Robotics, and Automation Engineering
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley