Install, inspect, test, adjust, or repair avionics equipment, such as radar, radio, navigation, and missile control systems in aircraft or space vehicles.
- Operate computer-aided drafting and design applications to design avionics system modifications.
- Assemble prototypes or models of circuits, instruments, and systems for use in testing.
- Fabricate parts and test aids as required.
- Coordinate work with that of engineers, technicians, and other aircraft maintenance personnel.
- Interpret flight test data to diagnose malfunctions and systemic performance problems.
- Connect components to assemblies such as radio systems, instruments, magnetos, inverters, and in-flight refueling systems, using hand tools and soldering irons.
- Lay out installation of aircraft assemblies and systems, following documentation such as blueprints, manuals, and wiring diagrams.
- Assemble components such as switches, electrical controls, and junction boxes, using hand tools or soldering irons.
- Set up and operate ground support and test equipment to perform functional flight tests of electrical and electronic systems.
- Install electrical and electronic components, assemblies, and systems in aircraft, using hand tools, power tools, or soldering irons.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $54,180 with most people making between $39,690 and $71,580
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 380 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 410 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 3 openings due to growth and about 7 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
- Electronics Engineering Technicians
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
majorAirframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance Technology/Technician
collegeEnterprise State Community College
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorAircraft Powerplant Technology/Technician
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetAircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
majorAvionics Maintenance Technology/Technician