Repair, maintain, or install electric motors, wiring, or switches.
- AC/DC Motor Repair Person
- AC/DC Rewinder
- AC/DC Winder
- Armature Rewinder
- Armature Winder Repairer
- Assembler, Generator, Repair
- Automotive Generator and Starter Repairer
- Battery Charger
- Battery Inspector
- Battery Mechanic
- Hammer out dents and twists in tools and equipment.
- Seal joints with putty, mortar, and asbestos, using putty extruders and knives.
- Sharpen tools such as saws, picks, shovels, screwdrivers, and scoops, either manually or by using bench grinders and emery wheels.
- Add water or acid to battery cell solutions to obtain specified concentrations.
- Repair and operate battery-charging equipment.
- Test battery charges, and replace or recharge batteries as necessary.
- Steam-clean polishing and buffing wheels to remove abrasives and bonding materials, and spray, brush, or recoat surfaces as necessary.
- Inspect batteries for structural defects such as dented cans, damaged carbon rods and terminals, and defective seals.
- Clean, rinse, and dry transformer cases, using boiling water, scrapers, solvents, hoses, and cloths.
- Test conditions, fluid levels, and specific gravities of electrolyte cells, using voltmeters, hydrometers, and thermometers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $38,470 with most people making between $21,190 and $58,840
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 19,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 20,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 2,000 replacement openings for approximately 2,000 total annual openings.
- Electro-Mechanical Technicians
- Medical Equipment Preparers
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Avionics Technicians
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Rail Car Repairers
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Motorcycle Mechanics
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Bicycle Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Musical Instrument Repairers and Tuners
- Watch Repairers
- Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Precious Metal Workers
collegePennsylvania College of Technology
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
onetAircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
collegeContra Costa College
majorElectrical/Electronics Equipment Installation and Repair, General
majorElectrical and Power Transmission Installation/Installer, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician