Repair, maintain, or install electric motors, wiring, or switches.
- AC/DC Motor Repair Person
- AC/DC Rewinder
- AC/DC Winder
- Armature Rewinder
- Armature Winder Repairer
- Assembler, Generator, Repair
- Automotive Generator and Starter Repairer
- Battery Charger
- Battery Inspector
- Battery Mechanic
- Measure velocity, horsepower, revolutions per minute (rpm), amperage, circuitry, and voltage of units or parts to diagnose problems, using ammeters, voltmeters, wattmeters, and other testing devices.
- Record repairs required, parts used, and labor time.
- Reassemble repaired electric motors to specified requirements and ratings, using hand tools and electrical meters.
- Maintain stocks of parts.
- Repair and rebuild defective mechanical parts in electric motors, generators, and related equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Rewire electrical systems, and repair or replace electrical accessories.
- Inspect electrical connections, wiring, relays, charging resistance boxes, and storage batteries, following wiring diagrams.
- Read service guides to find information needed to perform repairs.
- Inspect and test equipment to locate damage or worn parts and diagnose malfunctions, or read work orders or schematic drawings to determine required repairs.
- Solder, wrap, and coat wires to ensure proper insulation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $48,590 with most people making between $33,420 and $67,810
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 400 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 10 job openings annually.
- Electro-Mechanical Technicians
- Medical Equipment Preparers
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Avionics Technicians
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Rail Car Repairers
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Motorcycle Mechanics
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Bicycle Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Musical Instrument Repairers and Tuners
- Watch Repairers
- Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Engine and Other Machine Assemblers
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Precious Metal Workers
collegePennsylvania College of Technology
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
onetAircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
collegeContra Costa College
majorElectrical/Electronics Equipment Installation and Repair, General
majorElectrical and Power Transmission Installation/Installer, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician