Repair automobiles, trucks, buses, and other vehicles. Master mechanics repair virtually any part on the vehicle or specialize in the transmission system.
- Ambulance Mechanic
- ASE Master Mechanic (Automotive Service Excellence Master Mechanic)
- Auto Bench Mechanic
- Auto Garage Mechanic
- Auto Mechanic
- Auto Motor Mechanic
- Auto Overhauler
- Auto Rebuilder
- Auto Technician
- Auto Transmission Mechanic
- Test drive vehicles, and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Examine vehicles to determine extent of damage or malfunctions.
- Repair, reline, replace, and adjust brakes.
- Follow checklists to ensure all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, wheel bearings, and other potentially troublesome areas.
- Confer with customers to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems, and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- Perform routine and scheduled maintenance services such as oil changes, lubrications, and tune-ups.
- Repair and service air conditioning, heating, engine-cooling, and electrical systems.
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications.
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisors.
- Tear down, repair, and rebuild faulty assemblies such as power systems, steering systems, and linkages.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $39,450 with most people making between $20,920 and $61,210
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 723,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 848,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 12,000 openings due to growth and about 299,000 replacement openings for approximately 311,000 total annual openings.
majorHigh Performance and Custom Engine Technician/Mechanic
majorAutomotive Engineering Technology/Technician
collegeLong Beach City College
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
collegeAbram Friedman Occupational Center
onetAutomotive Specialty Technicians
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers