Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, graders, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
- Direct workers who are assembling or disassembling equipment or cleaning parts.
- Fabricate needed parts or items from sheet metal.
- Assemble gear systems, and align frames and gears.
- Adjust and maintain industrial machinery, using control and regulating devices.
- Weld or solder broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welders and soldering tools.
- Clean parts by spraying them with grease solvent or immersing them in tanks of solvent.
- Adjust, maintain, and repair or replace subassemblies, such as transmissions and crawler heads, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes.
- Research, order, and maintain parts inventory for services and repairs.
- Schedule maintenance for industrial machines and equipment, and keep equipment service records.
- Repair, rewire, and troubleshoot electrical systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $53,730 with most people making between $33,740 and $74,120
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 2,150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,400 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 25 openings due to growth and about 65 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Rail Car Repairers
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mechanical Door Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Helpers--Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Workers
- Ship Engineers
collegeAllan Hancock College
majorDiesel Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeGeorgia College and State University
onetAutomotive Master Mechanics
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
majorHeavy Equipment Maintenance Technology/Technician
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
collegeShelton State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation