Install, service, or repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences or commercial establishments.
- Ventilating Equipment Installer
- Systems Mechanic
- Stoker Mechanic
- Stoker Installer
- Stoker Erector
- Solar Panel Technician
- Solar Energy System Installer
- Service Tester
- Service Technician
- Renewable Energy Technician
- Wrap pipes, securing insulation in place with cement or wire bands.
- Install or repair self-contained ground source heat pumps or hybrid ground or air source heat pumps to minimize carbon-based energy consumption and reduce carbon emissions.
- Install radiator controls for room-level zone control heating of residential or commercial buildings.
- Fabricate, assemble, or install duct work or chassis parts, using portable metal-working tools or welding equipment.
- Assemble, position, and mount heating or cooling equipment, following blueprints or manufacturer's specifications.
- Install or repair air purification systems, such as specialized filters or ultraviolet (UV) light purification systems.
- Measure, cut, thread, or bend pipe or tubing, using pipe fitter's tools.
- Cut or drill holes in floors, walls, or roof to install equipment, using power saws or drills.
- Install magnetic-centrifugal chillers, compressors, or related equipment to cool air temperatures through the use of recirculating water.
- Recommend, develop, or perform preventive or general maintenance procedures, such as cleaning, power-washing, or vacuuming equipment, oiling parts, or changing filters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $55,170 with most people making between $33,710 and $79,380
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 10,650 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 12,200 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 160 openings due to growth and about 170 replacement openings for approximately 330 total annual openings.
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Mechanical Door Repairers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeAtlanta Technical College
collegeHarrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorHeating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers