Repair percussion, stringed, reed, or wind instruments. May specialize in one area, such as piano tuning.
- Accordion Tuner
- Accordion Repairer
- Band Instrument Repair Technician
- Band Instrument Repairer
- Band Instrument Repairman
- Banjo Repair Person
- Banjo Repairer
- Bow Rehairer
- Brass and Wind Instrument Repairer
- Chip Tuner
- Play instruments to evaluate their sound quality and to locate any defects.
- Adjust string tensions to tune instruments, using hand tools and electronic tuning devices.
- Disassemble instruments and parts for repair and adjustment.
- Inspect instruments to locate defects, and to determine their value or the level of restoration required.
- Repair cracks in wood or metal instruments, using pinning wire, lathes, fillers, clamps, or soldering irons.
- Reassemble instruments following repair, using hand tools and power tools and glue, hair, yarn, resin, or clamps, and lubricate instruments as necessary.
- Compare instrument pitches with tuning tool pitches in order to tune instruments.
- String instruments, and adjust trusses and bridges of instruments to obtain specified string tensions and heights.
- Repair or replace musical instrument parts and components, such as strings, bridges, felts, and keys, using hand and power tools.
- Polish instruments, using rags and polishing compounds, buffing wheels, or burnishing tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RAI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $37,010 with most people making between $23,180 and $56,560
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 140 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 150 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
collegeRenton Technical College
onetSound Engineering Technicians
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorMusical Instrument Fabrication and Repair
majorMusic Performance, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetMusic Composers and Arrangers
majorRecording Arts Technology/Technician