Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of an establishment in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; boiler making; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
- Airport Attendant
- Bench Repair Technician
- Building Engineer
- Building Maintenance Engineer
- Building Maintenance Mechanic
- Building Maintenance Repairer
- Building Maintenance Technician
- Building Mechanic
- Building Services Mechanic
- Position, attach, or blow insulating materials to prevent energy losses from buildings, pipes, or other structures or objects.
- Perform routine maintenance on boilers, such as replacing burners or hoses, installing replacement parts, or reinforcing structural weaknesses to ensure optimal boiler efficiency.
- Install equipment to improve the energy or operational efficiency of residential or commercial buildings.
- Assemble boilers at installation sites, using tools such as levels, plumb bobs, hammers, torches, or other hand tools.
- Lay brick to repair or maintain buildings, walls, arches, or other structures.
- Grind and reseat valves, using valve-grinding machines.
- Fabricate or repair counters, benches, partitions, or other wooden structures, such as sheds or outbuildings.
- Estimate repair costs.
- Train and manage maintenance personnel and subcontractors.
- Inspect used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements, using rules, calipers, micrometers, or other measuring instruments.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $42,030 with most people making between $23,770 and $63,810
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeLanier Technical College
collegeBishop State Community College
collegeJefferson State Community College
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
collegeAtlanta Technical College