Install, service, adjust, or repair coin, vending, or amusement machines including video games, juke boxes, pinball machines, or slot machines.
- Prepare repair cost estimates.
- Transport machines to installation sites.
- Refer to manuals and wiring diagrams to gather information needed to repair machines.
- Install machines, making the necessary water and electrical connections in compliance with codes.
- Disassemble and assemble machines, according to specifications and using hand and power tools.
- Order parts needed for machine repairs.
- Adjust and repair coin, vending, or amusement machines and meters and replace defective mechanical and electrical parts, using hand tools, soldering irons, and diagrams.
- Replace malfunctioning parts, such as worn magnetic heads on automatic teller machine (ATM) card readers.
- Maintain records of machine maintenance and repair.
- Adjust machine pressure gauges and thermostats.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $42,010 with most people making between $26,800 and $63,430
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 40 job openings annually.
- City and Regional Planning Aides
- Medical Equipment Preparers
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
- Shipping, Receiving, and Traffic Clerks
- Order Fillers, Wholesale and Retail Sales
- Office Machine Operators, Except Computer
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- Statistical Assistants
- Log Graders and Scalers
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Bicycle Repairers
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Musical Instrument Repairers and Tuners
- Watch Repairers
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorElectrical/Electronics Equipment Installation and Repair, General
collegeWest Valley College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeSan Diego City College
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton