Repair tears, holes, and other defects in fabrics, such as draperies, linens, parachutes, and tents.
- Umbrella Mender
- Tarp Repairer
- Sewing Machine Operator
- Seat Mender
- Sail Repairer
- Sail Repair Person
- Sail Maker
- Perch Mender
- Pull knots to the wrong sides of garments, using hooks.
- Replace defective shrouds, and splice connections between shrouds and harnesses, using hand tools.
- Re-knit runs and replace broken threads, using latch needles.
- Sew fringe, tassels, and ruffles onto drapes and curtains, and buttons and trimming onto garments.
- Clean stains from fabric or garments, using spray guns and cleaning fluid.
- Repair holes by weaving thread over them, using needles.
- Sew labels and emblems onto articles for identification.
- Check repaired and repacked survival equipment to ensure that it meets specifications.
- Patch holes, sew tears and ripped seams, or darn defects in items, using needles and thread or sewing machines.
- Trim edges of cut or torn fabric, using scissors or knives, and stitch trimmed edges together.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
New Jersey wage information is not available
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton
majorCrafts/Craft Design, Folk Art and Artisanry
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers