Repair tears, holes, and other defects in fabrics, such as draperies, linens, parachutes, and tents.
- Awning Craftsman
- Awning Craftsperson
- Bag Repairer
- Canvas Repairer
- Curtain Mender
- Custom Marine Canvas Fabricator
- Fabric Awning Repairer
- Fabric Worker
- Hand Weaver
- Hand-Woven Carpet and Rug Mender
- Measure and hem curtains, garments, and canvas coverings to size, using tape measures.
- Operate sewing machines to restitch defective seams, sew up holes, or replace components of fabric articles.
- Spread out articles or materials and examine them for holes, tears, worn areas, and other defects.
- Stamp grommets into canvas, using mallets and punches or eyelet machines.
- Trim edges of cut or torn fabric, using scissors or knives, and stitch trimmed edges together.
- Patch holes, sew tears and ripped seams, or darn defects in items, using needles and thread or sewing machines.
- Check repaired and repacked survival equipment to ensure that it meets specifications.
- Sew labels and emblems onto articles for identification.
- Repair holes by weaving thread over them, using needles.
- Clean stains from fabric or garments, using spray guns and cleaning fluid.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $28,540.00 with most people making between $17,690.00 and $42,720.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 0 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 0 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Floor Sanders and Finishers
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Etchers and Engravers
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
collegeSanta Barbara City College
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton
majorCrafts/Craft Design, Folk Art and Artisanry
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks