Install, inspect, test, maintain, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, signal equipment, track switches, section lines, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Electric Track Switch Maintainer
- Electronic Train Control Technician
- Light Rail Signal Technician
- Rail Signal Mechanic
- Railroad Crossing Protection Maintainer
- Railroad Signal Technician
- Railway Signal Technician
- Register Repairer
- Signal and Communications Maintainer
- Install, inspect, maintain, and repair various railroad service equipment on the road or in the shop, including railroad signal systems.
- Inspect and test operation, mechanical parts, and circuitry of gate crossings, signals, and signal equipment such as interlocks and hotbox detectors.
- Inspect switch-controlling mechanisms on trolley wires and in track beds, using hand tools and test equipment.
- Drive motor vehicles to job sites.
- Tighten loose bolts, using wrenches, and test circuits and connections by opening and closing gates.
- Inspect electrical units of railroad grade crossing gates and repair loose bolts and defective electrical connections and parts.
- Replace defective wiring, broken lenses, or burned-out light bulbs.
- Record and report information about mileage or track inspected, repairs performed, and equipment requiring replacement.
- Inspect, maintain, and replace batteries as needed.
- Lubricate moving parts on gate-crossing mechanisms and swinging signals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $57,110 with most people making between $41,240 and $80,450
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorElectrical and Power Transmission Installation/Installer, General
collegeAmerican River College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
onetCounter and Rental Clerks