Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators.
- Chemical Supervisor
- Abattoir Supervisor
- Abrasive and Polished Products Supervisor
- Acid Supervisor
- Aerosol Supervisor
- Aging Department Supervisor
- Agricultural Chemicals Shift Superintendent
- Alteration Workroom Supervisor
- Alum Plant Supervisor
- Alumina Plant Supervisor
- Enforce safety and sanitation regulations.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods, such as inspectors, machine setters, and fabricators.
- Confer with other supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
- Plan and establish work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals.
- Inspect materials, products, or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions.
- Observe work and monitor gauges, dials, and other indicators to ensure that operators conform to production or processing standards.
- Conduct employee training in equipment operations or work and safety procedures, or assign employee training to experienced workers.
- Interpret specifications, blueprints, job orders, and company policies and procedures for workers.
- Keep records of employees' attendance and hours worked.
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $58,150 with most people making between $32,700 and $90,310
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 588,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 599,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,000 openings due to growth and about 86,000 replacement openings for approximately 87,000 total annual openings.
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegePalo Alto University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeMt. San Antonio College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorOperations Management and Supervision
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeLoma Linda University
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General