Construct, assemble, or rebuild machines, such as engines, turbines, and similar equipment used in such industries as construction, extraction, textiles, and paper manufacturing.
- Air Conditioning Coil Assembler
- Aircraft Engine Assembler
- Aircraft Power Plant Assembler
- Assembler Erector
- Assembling Motor Builder
- Assembly Line Worker
- Automobile Engine Assembler
- Automotive Engine Builder
- Automotive Production Worker
- Set up and operate metalworking machines, such as milling or grinding machines, to shape or fabricate parts.
- Lay out and drill, ream, tap, or cut parts for assembly.
- Remove rough spots and smooth surfaces to fit, trim, or clean parts, using hand tools or power tools.
- Fasten or install piping, fixtures, or wiring and electrical components to form assemblies or subassemblies, using hand tools, rivet guns, or welding equipment.
- Verify conformance of parts to stock lists or blueprints, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Assemble systems of gears by aligning and meshing gears in gearboxes.
- Maintain and lubricate parts or components.
- Read and interpret assembly blueprints or specifications manuals and plan assembly or building operations.
- Rework, repair, or replace damaged parts or assemblies.
- Set and verify parts clearances.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $36,060 with most people making between $26,110 and $47,760
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 550 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
collegeCentral Florida Institute
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeBishop State Community College
onetAutomotive Master Mechanics
majorAutomotive Engineering Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeRWM Fiber Optics
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician