Use hand or hand tools to perform routine cutting and trimming of meat, poultry, and seafood.
- Wing Scorer
- Weasand Trimmer
- Turkey Roll Maker
- Turkey Boner
- Tripe Scraper
- Tripe Finisher
- Tongue Trimmer
- Toe Puller
- Prepare ready-to-heat foods by filleting meat or fish or cutting it into bite-sized pieces, preparing and adding vegetables or applying sauces or breading.
- Prepare sausages, luncheon meats, hot dogs, and other fabricated meat products, using meat trimmings and hamburger meat.
- Clean and salt hides.
- Weigh meats and tag containers for weight and contents.
- Separate meats and byproducts into specified containers and seal containers.
- Obtain and distribute specified meat or carcass.
- Process primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use.
- Produce hamburger meat and meat trimmings.
- Inspect meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and remove them along with any excess fat.
- Remove parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $24,760 with most people making between $17,330 and $34,290
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,350 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 50 job openings annually.
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeLoma Linda University
majorMeat Cutting/Meat Cutter
onetHunters and Trappers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers