Use hand or hand tools to perform routine cutting and trimming of meat, poultry, and seafood.
- Abalone Processor
- Animal Eviscerator
- Animal Skinner
- Animal Sticker
- Bacon de-Rinder
- Bacon Skin Lifter
- Bacon Skinner
- Bacon Slicer
- Beef Boner
- Beef Breaker
- Cut and trim meat to prepare for packing.
- Use knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws, or other equipment to perform meat cutting and trimming.
- Clean, trim, slice, and section carcasses for future processing.
- Remove parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass.
- Inspect meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and remove them along with any excess fat.
- Produce hamburger meat and meat trimmings.
- Process primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use.
- Obtain and distribute specified meat or carcass.
- Separate meats and byproducts into specified containers and seal containers.
- Weigh meats and tag containers for weight and contents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $27,520.00 with most people making between $19,100.00 and $42,730.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,440 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 3,570 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 14 openings due to growth and about 116 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Solderers and Brazers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeLoma Linda University
majorMeat Cutting/Meat Cutter
onetHunters and Trappers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers