Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
- Arc Welding Machine Operator
- Auto Welder
- Billet Assembler
- Braze Operator
- Brazing Machine Operator
- Brazing Machine Setter
- Brazing Machine Setter and Setup Operator
- Brazing Machine Tender
- Turn and press knobs and buttons or enter operating instructions into computers to adjust and start welding machines.
- Set up, operate, or tend welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products or assemblies.
- Load or feed workpieces into welding machines to join or bond components.
- Give directions to other workers regarding machine set-up and use.
- Correct problems by adjusting controls or by stopping machines and opening holding devices.
- Inspect, measure, or test completed metal workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using measuring and testing devices.
- Record operational information on specified production reports.
- Start, monitor, and adjust robotic welding production lines.
- Read blueprints, work orders, or production schedules to determine product or job instructions or specifications.
- Assemble, align, and clamp workpieces into holding fixtures to bond, heat-treat, or solder fabricated metal components.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $36,060.00 with most people making between $22,880.00 and $52,000.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 41,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 44,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 13,000 replacement openings for approximately 13,000 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Wellhead Pumpers
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
majorWelding Engineering Technology/Technician
collegeGadsden State Community College
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology