Format and proof text and images submitted by designers and clients into finished pages that can be printed. Includes digital and photo typesetting. May produce printing plates.
- Ad Compositor
- Ad Setter
- Advertisement Compositor
- Advertising Layout Worker
- Blueprint Blocker
- Blueprint Cutter
- Blueprint Developer
- Enter, store, and retrieve information on computer-aided equipment.
- Enter, position, and alter text size, using computers, to make up and arrange pages so that printed materials can be produced.
- Maintain, adjust, and clean equipment, and perform minor repairs.
- Operate and maintain laser plate-making equipment that converts electronic data to plates without the use of film.
- Examine photographic images for obvious imperfections prior to plate making.
- Operate presses to print proofs of plates, monitoring printing quality to ensure that it is adequate.
- Monitor contact between cover glass and masks inside vacuum frames to prevent flaws resulting from overexposure or light reflection.
- Transfer images from master plates to unexposed plates, and immerse plates in developing solutions to develop images.
- Examine unexposed photographic plates to detect flaws or foreign particles prior to printing.
- Lower vacuum frames onto plate-film assemblies, activate vacuums to establish contact between film and plates, and set timers to activate ultraviolet lights that expose plates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $39,050 with most people making between $18,170 and $61,710
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Surveying Technicians
- Pest Control Workers
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Costume Attendants
- Desktop Publishers
- Proofreaders and Copy Markers
- Floor Sanders and Finishers
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Food Batchmakers
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers
- Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gem and Diamond Workers
- Semiconductor Processors
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Etchers and Engravers
- Potters, Manufacturing
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Wellhead Pumpers
majorGraphic Communications, General
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
collegeMt. San Antonio College
majorPrepress/Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design
majorPrinting Press Operator
onetCamera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture