Set up, operate, or tend machines that extrude and form continuous filaments from synthetic materials, such as liquid polymer, rayon, and fiberglass.
- Test Skein Winder
- Synthetic Staple Extruder
- Synthetic Filament Spinner
- Synthetic Filament Extruder
- Spinning Bath Person
- Spinning Bath Patroller
- Spindraw Operator
- Second Floor Operator
- Wipe finish rollers with cloths and wash finish trays with water when necessary.
- Pull extruded fiberglass filaments over sleeves where binding solution is applied, and into grooves of graphite shoes that bind filaments into single strands of sliver.
- Lower pans inside cabinets to catch molten filaments until flow of polymer through packs has stopped.
- Record operational data on tags, and attach tags to machines.
- Turn rheostats to obtain specified temperatures in electric furnaces where glass is melted.
- Turn petcocks to adjust the flow of binding fluid to sleeves.
- Pass sliver strands through openings in floors to workers on floors below who wind slivers onto tubes.
- Clean and maintain extruding and forming machines, using hand tools.
- Remove polymer deposits from spinnerettes and equipment, using silicone spray, brass chisels, and bronze-wool pads.
- Press metering-pump buttons and turn valves to stop flow of polymers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $31,170 with most people making between $18,870 and $55,730
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Gas Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Conveyor Operators and Tenders
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetAmbulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
majorLaw Enforcement Record-Keeping and Evidence Management
collegeSanta Barbara City College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorMotorcycle Maintenance and Repair Technology/Technician
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician