Operate or maintain stationary engines, boilers, or other mechanical equipment to provide utilities for buildings or industrial processes. Operate equipment, such as steam engines, generators, motors, turbines, and steam boilers.
- Water Pumper
- Water Pump Operator
- Watch Engine Operator
- Ventilation Worker
- Utilities Operator
- Turbo Operator
- Turbo Electric Operator
- Tank Farm Operator
- Steam Turbine Operator
- Steam Plant Operator
- Provide assistance to plumbers in repairing or replacing water, sewer, or waste lines, and in daily maintenance activities.
- Test electrical systems to determine voltages, using voltage meters.
- Operate mechanical hoppers and provide assistance in their adjustment and repair.
- Supervise the work of assistant stationary engineers, turbine operators, boiler tenders, or air conditioning and refrigeration operators and mechanics.
- Ignite fuel in burners, using torches or flames.
- Receive instructions from steam engineers regarding steam plant and air compressor operations.
- Fire coal furnaces by hand or with stokers and gas- or oil-fed boilers, using automatic gas feeds or oil pumps.
- Contact equipment manufacturers or appropriate specialists when necessary to resolve equipment problems.
- Clean and lubricate boilers and auxiliary equipment and make minor adjustments as needed, using hand tools.
- Weigh, measure, and record fuel used.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $53,110 with most people making between $39,300 and $69,380
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,000 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 30 job openings annually.
- Electro-Mechanical Technicians
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Power Plant Operators
- Gas Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeEl Camino Community College District
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College
majorMining and Mineral Engineering