Operate or tend equipment to control chemical changes or reactions in the processing of industrial or consumer products. Equipment used includes devulcanizers, steam-jacketed kettles, and reactor vessels.
- Acetone Recovery Worker
- Acetylene Plant Operator
- Acid Bleacher
- Acid Cleaner
- Acid Concentrator
- Acid Condenser
- Acid Extractor
- Acid Maker
- Acid Operator
- Acid Patroller
- Make minor repairs, lubricate, and maintain equipment, using hand tools.
- Flush or clean equipment, using steam hoses or mechanical reamers.
- Adjust controls to regulate temperature, pressure, feed, or flow of liquids or gases and times of prescribed reactions, according to knowledge of equipment and processes.
- Observe safety precautions to prevent fires or explosions.
- Monitor gauges, recording instruments, flowmeters, or products to ensure that specified conditions are maintained.
- Control or operate equipment in which chemical changes or reactions take place during the processing of industrial or consumer products.
- Measure, weigh, and mix chemical ingredients, according to specifications.
- Inspect equipment or units to detect leaks or malfunctions, shutting equipment down if necessary.
- Patrol work areas to detect leaks or equipment malfunctions or to monitor operating conditions.
- Test product samples for specific gravity, chemical characteristics, pH levels, concentrations, or viscosities or send them to laboratories for testing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $44,440 with most people making between $26,130 and $68,850
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 2,850 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,200 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
majorChemical Process Technology
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers