Set up, operate, or tend continuous flow or vat-type equipment; filter presses; shaker screens; centrifuges; condenser tubes; precipitating, fermenting, or evaporating tanks; scrubbing towers; or batch stills. These machines extract, sort, or separate liquids, gases, or solids from other materials to recover a refined product. Includes dairy processing equipment operators.
- Absorber Operator
- Absorption Operator
- Acetone Recovery Worker
- Acetylene Plant Operator
- Acid Extractor
- Acid Purifier
- Almond Blancher Operator
- Almond Huller
- Ammonium Nitrate Crystallizer
- Operate machines to process materials in compliance with applicable safety, energy, or environmental regulations.
- Pack bottles into cartons or crates, using machines.
- Remove full containers from discharge outlets and replace them with empty containers.
- Turn valves to pump sterilizing solutions or rinse water through pipes or equipment or to spray vats with atomizers.
- Install, maintain, or repair hoses, pumps, filters, or screens to maintain processing equipment, using hand tools.
- Assemble fittings, valves, bowls, plates, disks, impeller shafts, and other parts to equipment in order to prepare equipment for operation.
- Remove clogs, defects, or impurities from machines, tanks, conveyors, screens, or other processing equipment.
- Communicate processing instructions to other workers.
- Connect pipes between vats and processing equipment.
- Dump, pour, or load specified amounts of refined or unrefined materials into equipment or containers for further processing or storage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $43,560 with most people making between $25,860 and $60,920
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 550 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Nuclear Power Reactor Operators
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Gas Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Conveyor Operators and Tenders
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Pump Operators, Except Wellhead Pumpers
- Wellhead Pumpers
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorOceanography, Chemical and Physical
majorAtmospheric Sciences and Meteorology, General
collegeChattahoochee Valley Community College
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of South Alabama
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College