Set up, operate, or tend machines, such as glass forming machines, plodder machines, and tuber machines, to shape and form products, such as glassware, food, rubber, soap, brick, tile, clay, wax, tobacco, or cosmetics.
- Abrasive Wheel Molder
- Acoustical Tile Patternmaker
- Air Bag Curer
- Alfalfa Dehydrator Operator
- Arch Cushion Press Operator
- Artificial Log Machine Operator
- Automatic Lump Making Machine Tender
- Bag Bailer
- Bag Builder
- Measure arbors and dies to verify sizes specified on work tickets.
- Couple air and gas lines to machines to maintain plasticity of material and to regulate solidification of final products.
- Install, align, and adjust neck rings, press plungers, and feeder tubes.
- Pour, scoop, or dump specified ingredients, metal assemblies, or mixtures into sections of machine prior to starting machines.
- Disassemble equipment to repair it or to replace parts such as nozzles, punches, and filters.
- Clean dies, arbors, compression chambers, and molds, using swabs, sponges, or air hoses.
- Ignite burners to preheat products, or use torches to apply heat.
- Thread extruded strips through water tanks and hold-down bars, or attach strands to wires and draw them through tubes.
- Send product samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Measure, mix, cut, shape, soften, and join materials and ingredients such as powder, cornmeal, or rubber to prepare them for machine processing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $35,280 with most people making between $20,330 and $53,490
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,650 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
majorAirframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance Technology/Technician
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Selma
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorMachine Tool Technology/Machinist
majorComputer and Information Systems Security/Information Assurance
collegeAlabama State University
collegeHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto Campuses
collegeSoutheastern Bible College