Operate or tend heating equipment other than basic metal, plastic, or food processing equipment. Includes activities, such as annealing glass, drying lumber, curing rubber, removing moisture from materials, or boiling soap.
- Acid Maker
- Ager Operator
- Autoclave Operator
- Automated Process Operator
- Backing-in Machine Tender
- Back Tender
- Base Draw Operator
- Direct crane operators and crew members to load vessels with materials to be processed.
- Sprinkle chemicals on the surface of molten metal to bring impurities to surface and remove impurities, using strainers.
- Load equipment receptacles or conveyors with material to be processed, by hand or using hoists.
- Replace worn or defective equipment parts, using hand tools.
- Melt or refine metal before casting, calculating required temperatures, and observe metal color, adjusting controls as necessary to maintain required temperatures.
- Feed fuel, such as coal and coke, into fireboxes or onto conveyors, and remove ashes from furnaces, using shovels and buckets.
- Calculate amounts of materials to be loaded into furnaces, adjusting amounts as necessary for specific conditions.
- Remove products from equipment, manually or using hoists, and prepare them for storage, shipment, or additional processing.
- Stop equipment and clear blockages or jams, using fingers, wire, or hand tools.
- Transport materials and products to and from work areas, manually or using carts, handtrucks, or hoists.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $35,820 with most people making between $22,400 and $50,330
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 400 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 300 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately - total annual openings.
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
majorMathematical Statistics and Probability
collegeLurleen B Wallace Community College
collegeAlabama Southern Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorMusic Performance, General
collegeEl Camino Community College District
collegeHeritage Christian University
majorComputer Programming/Programmer, General
majorAlgebra and Number Theory
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks