Operate or tend heating equipment other than basic metal, plastic, or food processing equipment. Includes activities, such as annealing glass, drying lumber, curing rubber, removing moisture from materials, or boiling soap.
- Chemical Operator
- Acid Maker
- Ager Operator
- Autoclave Operator
- Automated Process Operator
- Back Tender
- Backing-in Machine Tender
- Weigh or measure specified amounts of ingredients or materials for processing, using devices such as scales and calipers.
- Press and adjust controls to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
- Monitor equipment operation, gauges, and panel lights to detect deviations from standards.
- Read and interpret work orders and instructions to determine work assignments, process specifications, and production schedules.
- Record gauge readings, test results, and shift production in log books.
- Confer with supervisors or other equipment operators to report equipment malfunctions or to resolve production problems.
- Examine or test samples of processed substances, or collect samples for laboratory testing, to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust equipment, using scrapers, solvents, air hoses, oil, and hand tools.
- Transport materials and products to and from work areas, manually or using carts, handtrucks, or hoists.
- Stop equipment and clear blockages or jams, using fingers, wire, or hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $37,320 with most people making between $22,950 and $55,730
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 20,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 20,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 5,000 replacement openings for approximately 5,000 total annual openings.
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
majorMathematical Statistics and Probability
collegeLurleen B Wallace Community College
collegeAlabama Southern Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorMusic Performance, General
collegeEl Camino Community College District
collegeHeritage Christian University
majorComputer Programming/Programmer, General
majorAlgebra and Number Theory
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks