Construct, fit, maintain, or repair medical supportive devices, such as braces, orthotics and prosthetic devices, joints, arch supports, and other surgical and medical appliances.
- Arch Support Maker
- Arch-Support Maker
- Arch Support Technician
- Artificial Limb Maker Apprentice
- Artificial Plastic Eye Maker
- Brace Maker
- Brace Maker Apprentice
- Certified Orthotist
- Certified Pedorthotist
- Certified Prosthetist
- Mix pigments to match patients' skin coloring, according to formulas, and apply mixtures to orthotic or prosthetic devices.
- Service or repair machinery used in the fabrication of appliances.
- Polish artificial limbs, braces, or supports, using grinding and buffing wheels.
- Cover or pad metal or plastic structures or devices, using coverings such as rubber, leather, felt, plastic, or fiberglass.
- Test medical supportive devices for proper alignment, movement, or biomechanical stability, using meters and alignment fixtures.
- Lay out and mark dimensions of parts, using templates and precision measuring instruments.
- Drill and tap holes for rivets and glue, weld, bolt, or rivet parts together to form prosthetic or orthotic devices.
- Bend, form, and shape fabric or material to conform to prescribed contours of structural components.
- Construct or receive casts or impressions of patients' torsos or limbs for use as cutting and fabrication patterns.
- Take patients' body or limb measurements for use in device construction.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $33,730 with most people making between $20,820 and $47,040
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 600 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
majorMedical Radiologic Technology/Science - Radiation Therapist
collegeCity College of San Francisco
majorDiagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer and Ultrasound Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach