Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
- Bottle Filler
- Ampoule Filler
- Ampoule Sealer
- Apple Press Operator
- Assembly Leader
- Assembly Line Worker
- Assembly Person
- Assembly Worker
- Sort, grade, weigh, and inspect products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Monitor the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn't sticking properly.
- Attach identification labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Stock and sort product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Package the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Inspect and remove defective products and packaging material.
- Start machine by engaging controls.
- Remove finished packaged items from machine and separate rejected items.
- Count and record finished and rejected packaged items.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $29,090.00 with most people making between $19,420.00 and $43,040.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 6,010 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 6,330 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 32 openings due to growth and about 98 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
collegeUniversity of Mobile
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeBevill State Community College
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
collegeCity College of San Francisco
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Huntsville
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer