Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
- Yeast Cutting and Wrapping Machine Operator
- Wrapping Machine Operator
- Wrapper Layer
- Vegetable Canner
- Vacuum Closing Machine Operator
- Tying Machine Operator
- Tray Casting Machine Operator
- Tracer Bullet Charging Machine Operator
- Toy Stuffer
- Tobacco Wrapping Machine Tender
- Clean, oil, and make minor adjustments or repairs to machinery and equipment, such as opening valves or setting guides.
- Secure finished packaged items by hand tying, sewing, gluing, stapling, or attaching fastener.
- Clean packaging containers, line and pad crates, or assemble cartons to prepare for product packing.
- Clean and remove damaged or otherwise inferior materials to prepare raw products for processing.
- Supply materials to spindles, conveyors, hoppers, or other feeding devices and unload packaged product.
- Tend or operate machine that packages product.
- Regulate machine flow, speed, or temperature.
- Stack finished packaged items, or wrap protective material around each item, and pack the items in cartons or containers.
- Stop or reset machines when malfunctions occur, clear machine jams, and report malfunctions to a supervisor.
- Adjust machine components and machine tension and pressure according to size or processing angle of product.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $27,340 with most people making between $16,910 and $44,490
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 15,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 13,500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 250 total annual openings.
collegeCity College of San Francisco
collegeUniversity of Mobile
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
collegeBevill State Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
collegeUniversity of Alabama in Huntsville
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer