Paint, coat, or decorate articles such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
- Air Brush Decorator
- Air Brush Operator
- Airbrush Painter
- Animated Cartoons Painter
- Apprentice, Painter, Brush
- Apprentice, Painter, Hand
- Art Gilder
- Apply coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examine finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications; then retouch any defective areas.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment, using solvents, brushes, and rags.
- Read job orders and inspect workpieces to determine work procedures and materials required.
- Clean surfaces of workpieces in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluids, solvents, brushes, scrapers, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Rinse, drain, or wipe coated workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coats on workpieces.
- Place coated workpieces in ovens or dryers for specified times in order to dry or harden finishes.
- Select and mix ingredients to prepare coating substances according to specifications, using paddles or mechanical mixers.
- Melt or heat coating materials to specified temperatures.
- Conceal blemishes in workpieces, such as nicks and dents, using fillers such as putty.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $29,270.00 with most people making between $18,550.00 and $42,830.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 25,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 29,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 9,000 replacement openings for approximately 9,000 total annual openings.
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Fabric Menders, Except Garment
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Furniture Finishers
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
onetFine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeFresno City College
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef