Cut or carve stone according to diagrams and patterns.
- Foot Caster
- Granite Cutter
- Granite Fabricator
- Granite Worker
- Carve designs or figures in full or bas relief on stone, employing knowledge of stone carving techniques and sense of artistry to produce carvings consistent with designers' plans.
- Verify depths and dimensions of cuts or carvings to ensure adherence to specifications, blueprints, or models, using measuring instruments.
- Lay out designs or dimensions from sketches or blueprints on stone surfaces, by freehand or by transferring them from tracing paper, using scribes or chalk and measuring instruments.
- Study artistic objects or graphic materials, such as models, sketches, or blueprints, to plan carving or cutting techniques.
- Drill holes and cut or carve moldings and grooves in stone, according to diagrams and patterns.
- Shape, trim, or touch up roughed-out designs with appropriate tools to finish carvings.
- Select chisels, pneumatic or surfacing tools, or sandblasting nozzles and determine sequence of use.
- Move fingers over surfaces of carvings to ensure smoothness of finish.
- Carve rough designs freehand or by chipping along marks on stone, using mallets and chisels or pneumatic tools.
- Guide nozzles over stone, following stencil outlines, or chip along marks to create designs or to work surfaces down to specified finishes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $31,480 with most people making between $19,320 and $46,650
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 43,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 46,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 19,000 replacement openings for approximately 19,000 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeCosumnes River College
collegeLong Beach City College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
majorEnglish Language and Literature, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California