Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
- Yard Manager
- Airplane Pilot Supervisor
- Area Captain
- Area Counselor
- Auto Servicer
- Building Materials or Lumber Yard Supervisor
- Bus and Trolley Dispatcher
- Bus Driver Supervisor
- Cab Supervisor
- Enforce safety rules and regulations.
- Plan work assignments and equipment allocations to meet transportation, operations or production goals.
- Direct workers in transportation or related services, such as pumping, moving, storing, or loading or unloading of materials or people.
- Review orders, production schedules, blueprints, or shipping or receiving notices to determine work sequences and material shipping dates, types, volumes, or destinations.
- Inspect or test materials, stock, vehicles, equipment, or facilities to ensure that they are safe, free of defects, and consistent with specifications.
- Confer with customers, supervisors, contractors, or other personnel to exchange information or to resolve problems.
- Monitor field work to ensure proper performance and use of materials.
- Dispatch personnel and vehicles in response to telephone or radio reports of emergencies.
- Drive vehicles or operate machines or equipment to complete work assignments or to assist workers.
- Plan and establish transportation routes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $55,910 with most people making between $31,450 and $84,340
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 198,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 227,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 67,000 replacement openings for approximately 69,000 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeGeorgia State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorOperations Management and Supervision
collegeGeorgia College & State University
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
collegeBishop State Community College
majorLogistics, Materials, and Supply Chain Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJefferson Davis Community College