Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
- Yard Supervisor
- Yard Manager
- Yard Conductor
- Warehouse Supervisor
- Warehouse Foreman
- Trucks, Cabs, and Buses Dispatcher Supervisor
- Truck Supervisor
- Truck Driver Supervisor
- Transportation Supervisor
- Transportation Coordinator
- Compute or estimate cash, payroll, transportation, personnel, or storage requirements.
- Assist workers in tasks such as coupling railroad cars or loading vehicles.
- Examine, measure, or weigh cargo or materials to determine specific handling requirements.
- Recommend and implement measures to improve worker motivation, equipment performance, work methods, or customer services.
- Requisition needed personnel, supplies, equipment, parts, or repair services.
- Explain and demonstrate work tasks to new workers or assign training tasks to experienced workers.
- Perform or schedule repairs or preventive maintenance of vehicles or other equipment.
- Recommend or implement personnel actions, such as employee selection, evaluation, rewards, or disciplinary actions.
- Resolve worker problems or collaborate with employees to assist in problem resolution.
- Prepare, compile, and submit reports on work activities, operations, production, or work-related accidents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $55,480 with most people making between $28,630 and $80,170
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 8,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 7,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeGeorgia State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorOperations Management and Supervision
collegeGeorgia College and State University
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
collegeBishop State Community College
majorLogistics, Materials, and Supply Chain Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJefferson Davis Community College