Drive automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers.
- Auto Driver
- Bicycle Taxi Driver
- Bus Driver
- Cab Driver
- Corporate Driver
- Courtesy Car Driver
- Courtesy Van Driver
- Crew Car Driver
- Delivery Driver
- Report to taxicab services or garages to receive vehicle assignments.
- Provide passengers with information about the local area and points of interest, or give advice on hotels and restaurants.
- Collect fares or vouchers from passengers and make change or issue receipts as necessary.
- Turn the taximeter on when passengers enter the cab, and turn it off when they reach the final destination.
- Operate vehicles with specialized equipment, such as wheelchair lifts to transport and secure passengers with special needs.
- Determine fares based on trip distances and times, using taximeters and fee schedules, and announce fares to passengers.
- Perform errands for customers or employers, such as delivering or picking up mail and packages.
- Pick up or meet employers according to requests, appointments, or schedules.
- Vacuum and clean interiors, and wash and polish exteriors of automobiles.
- Perform minor vehicle repairs such as cleaning spark plugs, or take vehicles to mechanics for servicing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $25,200 with most people making between $17,130 and $36,850
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 239,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 286,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 4,000 openings due to growth and about 72,000 replacement openings for approximately 76,000 total annual openings.
collegeRiverside City College
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetBus Drivers, Transit and Intercity
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
collegeAlabama A & M University
onetChefs and Head Cooks
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors