Drive automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers.
- Auto Driver
- Bicycle Taxi Driver
- Bus Driver
- Cab Driver
- Corporate Driver
- Courtesy Car Driver
- Courtesy Van Driver
- Crew Car Driver
- Delivery Driver
- Follow relevant safety regulations and state laws governing vehicle operation and ensure that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Test vehicle equipment such as lights, brakes, horns, or windshield wipers, to ensure proper operation.
- Arrange to pick up particular customers or groups on a regular schedule.
- Provide passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles, and help them with any luggage.
- Notify dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.
- Complete accident reports when necessary.
- Communicate with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Drive taxicabs, limousines, company cars, or privately owned vehicles to transport passengers.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance such as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Pick up passengers at prearranged locations, at taxi stands, or by cruising streets in high traffic areas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $25,140.00 with most people making between $17,050.00 and $37,200.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 239,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 286,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 4,000 openings due to growth and about 72,000 replacement openings for approximately 76,000 total annual openings.
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetBus Drivers, Transit and Intercity
collegeCosumnes River College
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeAlabama A & M University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers