Supervise or coordinate activities of crew aboard ships, boats, barges, or dredges.
- Barge Mate
- Boatswain's Mate
- Cargo Mate
- Coastal Tug Mate
- Container Ship Mate
- Deck Cadet
- Deck Engineer
- Deck Hand
- Observe water from ships' mastheads to advise on navigational direction.
- Supervise crews in cleaning or maintaining decks, superstructures, or bridges.
- Supervise crew members in the repair or replacement of defective gear or equipment.
- Observe loading or unloading of cargo or equipment to ensure that handling and storage are performed according to specifications.
- Arrange for ships to be stocked, fueled, or repaired.
- Participate in activities related to maintenance of vessel security.
- Inspect equipment, such as cargo-handling gear, lifesaving equipment, visual-signaling equipment, or fishing, towing, or dredging gear, to detect problems.
- Assume command of vessels in the event that ships' masters become incapacitated.
- Determine geographical positions of ships, using lorans, azimuths of celestial bodies, or computers, and use this information to determine the course and speed of a ship.
- Stand watches on vessels during specified periods while vessels are under way.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $57,350 with most people making between $18,980 and $91,340
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 700 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 30 job openings annually.
- Transportation Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Airline Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers
- Commercial Pilots
- Air Traffic Controllers
- Sailors and Marine Oilers
- Ship and Boat Captains
- Pilots, Ship
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
majorMarine Science/Merchant Marine Officer
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeHumboldt State University
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeCalifornia Maritime Academy
collegeRiverside City College