Supervise and coordinate activities of crew engaged in operating and maintaining engines, boilers, deck machinery, and electrical, sanitary, and refrigeration equipment aboard ship.
- Tugboat Engineer
- Tug Boat Engineer
- Towboat Engineer
- Ship Engines Operating Engineer
- Port Engineer
- Operating or Equipment Maintenance Marine Engineer
- Operating Engineer
- Marine Mechanic
- Fabricate engine replacement parts, such as valves, stay rods, or bolts, using metalworking machinery.
- Install engine controls, propeller shafts, or propellers.
- Act as a liaison between a ship's captain and shore personnel to ensure that schedules and budgets are maintained and that the ship is operated safely and efficiently.
- Order and receive engine room stores, such as oil or spare parts, maintain inventories, and record usage of supplies.
- Supervise the activities of marine engine technicians engaged in the maintenance or repair of mechanical or electrical marine vessels and inspect their work to ensure that it is performed properly.
- Clean engine parts and keep engine rooms clean.
- Operate or maintain off-loading liquid pumps or valves.
- Perform general marine vessel maintenance or repair work, such as repairing leaks, finishing interiors, refueling, or maintaining decks.
- Maintain or repair engines, electric motors, pumps, winches, or other mechanical or electrical equipment or assist other crew members with maintenance or repair duties.
- Monitor and test operations of engines or other equipment so that malfunctions and their causes can be identified.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $61,880 with most people making between $35,420 and $89,160
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 250 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 250 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 10 job openings annually.
majorMarine Science/Merchant Marine Officer
majorCivil Engineering, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach