Inspect the handling, storage, and stowing of freight and cargoes.
- Cargo Surveyor
- Freight Car Inspector
- Freight Service Inspector
- Loading Inspector
- Maintenance Inspector
- Marine Cargo Inspector
- Marine Cargo Surveyor
- Marine Surveyor
- Prepare and submit reports after completion of freight shipments.
- Inspect shipments to ensure that freight is securely braced and blocked.
- Record details about freight conditions, handling of freight, and any problems encountered.
- Advise crews in techniques of stowing dangerous and heavy cargo.
- Observe loading of freight to ensure that crews comply with procedures.
- Recommend remedial procedures to correct any violations found during inspections.
- Inspect loaded cargo, cargo lashed to decks or in storage facilities, and cargo handling devices to determine compliance with health and safety regulations and need for maintenance.
- Measure ships' holds and depths of fuel and water in tanks, using sounding lines and tape measures.
- Notify workers of any special treatment required for shipments.
- Direct crews to reload freight or to insert additional bracing or packing as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $66,470.00 with most people making between $31,760.00 and $111,780.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 27,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 31,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10,000 replacement openings for approximately 10,000 total annual openings.
- Surveying Technicians
- Agricultural Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Log Graders and Scalers
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Gas Plant Operators
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeMohave Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorCriminal Justice/Law Enforcement Administration
collegeCity College of San Francisco
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation