Provide services to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers aboard ships, buses, trains, or within the station or terminal. Perform duties such as greeting passengers, explaining the use of safety equipment, serving meals or beverages, or answering questions related to travel.
- Airline Lounge Receptionist
- Airport Attendant
- Bath Steward/Stewardess
- Bus Aide
- Bus Assistant
- Bus Attendant
- Bus Monitor
- Bus Operator
- Bus Steward
- Car Porter
- Serve food or beverages.
- Distribute sports or game equipment, magazines, newspapers, pillows, blankets, or other items to passengers and guests.
- Clean rooms and bathroom facilities, change linens, and replenish supplies in washrooms.
- Inspect kitchens or dining areas to ensure adherence to sanitation requirements.
- Transport baggage or coordinate transportation between assigned rooms, terminals, or platforms.
- Adjust window shades or seat cushions at the request of passengers.
- Determine or facilitate seating arrangements.
- Provide customers with information on routes, gates, prices, timetables, terminals, or concourses.
- Issue and collect passenger boarding passes and transfers, tearing or punching tickets as necessary to prevent reuse.
- Collect fares from passengers and provide change in return.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RSE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $23,960 with most people making between $16,670 and $35,670
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 24,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 27,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 7,000 replacement openings for approximately 7,000 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeSan Diego State University
majorAirline Flight Attendant
onetTour Guides and Escorts
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeSan Jose State University
onetAmbulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
majorCustomer Service Support/Call Center/Teleservice Operation