Operate steam, gas, electric motor, or internal combustion engine driven compressors. Transmit, compress, or recover gases, such as butane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and natural gas.
- Acetylene Gas Compressor
- Acetylene Plant Technician
- Butadiene Compressor Operator
- Butane Compressor Operator
- Compressor Engineer
- Compressor Operator
- Compressor Station Operator
- Compressor Technician
- Field Operator
- Fill Plant Operator
- Monitor meters and pressure gauges to determine consumption rate variations, temperatures, and pressures.
- Adjust valves and equipment to obtain specified performance.
- Read gas meters, and maintain records of the amounts of gas received and dispensed from holders.
- Operate power-driven pumps that transfer liquids, semi-liquids, gases, or powdered materials.
- Record instrument readings and operational changes in operating logs.
- Move controls and turn valves to start compressor engines, pumps, and auxiliary equipment.
- Turn knobs or switches to regulate pressures.
- Respond to problems by adjusting control room equipment, and/or instructing other personnel to adjust equipment at problem locations or in other control areas.
- Take samples of gases and conduct chemical tests in order to determine gas quality and sulfur or moisture content, or send samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust equipment, and replace filters and gaskets, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $52,480.00 with most people making between $32,470.00 and $108,390.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 50 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 50 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
collegeDiablo Valley College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeReid State Technical College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science