Operate steam, gas, electric motor, or internal combustion engine driven compressors. Transmit, compress, or recover gases, such as butane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and natural gas.
- Terminal Operator
- Station Engineer
- Production Technician
- Plant Operator
- Plant Manager
- Pipeline Technician
- Pipeline Systems Operator
- Operation Specialist
- Liquid Natural Gas Plant Operator
- Liquefied Natural Gas Plant Operator (LNG Plant Operator)
- Maintain each station by performing general housekeeping duties such as painting, washing, and cleaning.
- Connect pipelines between pumps and containers that are being filled or emptied.
- Submit daily reports on facility operations.
- Clean, lubricate, and adjust equipment, and replace filters and gaskets, using hand tools.
- Take samples of gases and conduct chemical tests to determine gas quality and sulfur or moisture content, or send samples to laboratories for analysis.
- Respond to problems by adjusting control room equipment or instructing other personnel to adjust equipment at problem locations or in other control areas.
- Turn knobs or switches to regulate pressures.
- Move controls and turn valves to start compressor engines, pumps, and auxiliary equipment.
- Record instrument readings and operational changes in operating logs.
- Operate power-driven pumps that transfer liquids, semi-liquids, gases, or powdered materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2011, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $50,470 with most people making between $29,760 and $66,370
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 100 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 50 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Power Plant Operators
- Gas Plant Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Wellhead Pumpers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeDiablo Valley College
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College