Tend, control, or operate power-driven, stationary, or portable pumps and manifold systems to transfer gases, oil, other liquids, slurries, or powdered materials to and from various vessels and processes.
- Acid Loader
- Acid Pump Operator
- Airveyor Operator
- Blend Plant Operator
- Blend Technician
- Boom Pump Operator
- Booster Station Operator
- Brewery Pumper
- Brine Well Operator
- Cable Maintainer
- Test materials and solutions, using testing equipment.
- Pump two or more materials into one tank to blend mixtures.
- Add chemicals and solutions to tanks to ensure that specifications are met.
- Tend auxiliary equipment such as water treatment and refrigeration units, and heat exchangers.
- Connect hoses and pipelines to pumps and vessels prior to material transfer, using hand tools.
- Collect and deliver sample solutions for laboratory analysis.
- Clean, lubricate, and repair pumps and vessels, using hand tools and equipment.
- Read operating schedules or instructions or receive verbal orders to determine amounts to be pumped.
- Plan movement of products through lines to processing, storage, and shipping units, using knowledge of interconnections and capacities of pipelines, valve manifolds, pumps, and tankage.
- Turn valves and start pumps to start or regulate flows of substances such as gases, liquids, slurries, or powdered materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $41,190 with most people making between $28,180 and $56,690
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 150 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeBishop State Community College
majorCommunications Systems Installation and Repair Technology
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
collegeCommunity College of the Air Force
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks