Load and unload chemicals and bulk solids, such as coal, sand, and grain into or from tank cars, trucks, or ships using material moving equipment. May perform a variety of other tasks relating to shipment of products. May gauge or sample shipping tanks and test them for leaks.
- Yard Person
- Warehouse Man
- Truck Unloader
- Truck Loader
- Tank Truck Loader
- Tank Car Loader
- Steel Loader
- Spout Tender
- Ships or Barges Loader
- Shipping and Receiving Operator
- Perform general warehouse activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory, and weighing and checking materials.
- Start pumps and adjust valves or cables to regulate the flow of products to vessels, using knowledge of loading procedures.
- Copy and attach load specifications to loaded tanks.
- Unload cars containing liquids by connecting hoses to outlet plugs and pumping compressed air into cars to force liquids into storage tanks.
- Test vessels for leaks, damage, and defects, and repair or replace defective parts as necessary.
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles.
- Clean interiors of tank cars or tank trucks, using mechanical spray nozzles.
- Lower gauge rods into tanks or read meters to verify contents, temperatures, and volumes of liquid loads.
- Remove and replace tank car dome caps, or direct other workers in their removal and replacement.
- Test samples for specific gravity, using hydrometers, or send samples to laboratories for testing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $61,640 with most people making between $48,500 and $74,000
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 750 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 700 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeMarion Military Institute
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
collegeBloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
onetAircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeCalifornia Maritime Academy
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers