Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with merchandise and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
- Storekeeper Helper
- Store Stocker
- Store Stock Help
- Store Hand
- Store Clerk
- Stock Worker
- Stock Clerk
- Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
- Pack customer purchases in bags or cartons.
- Design and set up advertising signs and displays of merchandise on shelves, counters, or tables to attract customers and promote sales.
- Clean display cases, shelves, and aisles.
- Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.
- Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished.
- Transport packages to customers' vehicles.
- Itemize and total customer merchandise selection at checkout counter, using cash register, and accept cash or charge card for purchases.
- Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.
- Stock shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with new or transferred merchandise.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $26,400 with most people making between $17,900 and $42,590
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 63,420 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 62,470 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 1,920 replacement openings for approximately 1,920 total annual openings.
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorAccounting and Finance
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeLong Beach City College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks