Cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
- Install solar roofing systems that have energy-collecting photovoltaic panels built into roofing membranes, shingles, or tiles.
- Install skylights on roofs to increase natural light inside structures or to reduce energy costs.
- Install layers of vegetation-based green roofs, including protective membranes, drainage, aeration, water retention and filter layers, soil substrates, irrigation materials, and plants.
- Install attic ventilation systems, such as turbine vents, gable or ridge vents, or conventional or solar-powered exhaust fans.
- Attach solar panels to existing roofs, according to specifications and without damaging roofing materials or the structural integrity of buildings.
- Apply reflective roof coatings, such as special paints or single-ply roofing sheets, to existing roofs to reduce solar heat absorption.
- Apply modular soil- and plant-containing grids over existing roof membranes to create green roofs.
- Punch holes in slate, tile, terra cotta, or wooden shingles, using punches and hammers.
- Apply gravel or pebbles over top layers of roofs, using rakes or stiff-bristled brooms.
- Glaze top layers to make a smooth finish or embed gravel in the bitumen for rough surfaces.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $39,600 with most people making between $23,410 and $61,240
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 132,700 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 147,900 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1,520 openings due to growth and about 2,770 replacement openings for approximately 4,290 total annual openings.
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers