Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators.
- Yeast Supervisor
- Yarn Preparation Supervisor
- Yard Supervisor
- Wrecking Supervisor
- Woods Boss
- Wood Room Supervisor
- Wood Crew Supervisor
- Wire Rope Fabrication Supervisor
- Winding and Twisting Department Supervisor
- White Sugar Supervisor
- Plan and develop new products and production processes.
- Calculate labor and equipment requirements and production specifications, using standard formulas.
- Recommend or execute personnel actions, such as hirings, evaluations, and promotions.
- Recommend or implement measures to motivate employees and to improve production methods, equipment performance, product quality, or efficiency.
- Set up and adjust machines and equipment.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances.
- Determine standards, budgets, production goals, and rates, based on company policies, equipment and labor availability, and workloads.
- Maintain operations data, such as time, production, and cost records, and prepare management reports of production results.
- Requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services.
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $64,190 with most people making between $37,310 and $95,520
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 15,420 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 15,060 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 220 replacement openings for approximately 220 total annual openings.
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegePalo Alto University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeMt San Antonio College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorOperations Management and Supervision
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeLoma Linda University
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General